Monday, March 19, 2012

And sometimes I knit. . .

It has been an exciting week for me. Sometimes an idea just overtakes me and I need to go beyond merely sketching it out. Some patterns just want to be born, they need to be plotted and knit immediately abandoning all other projects. I will find myself sitting up at my desk long after I should be in bed, carefully mapping out cables or calculating decreases for a raglan sleeve. It is an exhausting process but one with great rewards! To see your idea in the flesh is truly exciting. Thanks to my lovely friend and test knitter Linda, the fruits of my labors can now be shared.

I give you the newly released "Lover's Lane".

This time I was inspired  by L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables books. I remember reading them as a little girl, the first one read aloud with my mother. . .such wonderful memories. Re-reading the books again as an adult I could easily see the landscape of Avonlea spread before me through Ms. Montgomery's beautifully descriptive prose.

With spring approaching it became even easier to imagine myself walking the paths that Anne walked. I long to walk beneath the arched boughs  of Lover's Lane, past the Lake of Shining Waters, and sit beside the Snow Queen with her fragrant apple blossoms.


"Lover's Lane" is the first in what I hope will be a series of patterns inspired by my favorite works of fiction. Already in the works is a half circle shawl knit in delicate suri alpaca lace. It is shaping up to be a wonderful adventure. 

Soon we will be back to discussing spinning, but in the mean time. . .what inspires you?

4 comments:

  1. Спасибо, я купила эту модель и начну вязание :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I just want you to know what a wonderful pattern this is. I've love Anne since I was a little girl as well, and I think that your idea of designing around the books is brilliant. I can't wait to start knitting it!

    Oh, and "Call Me Cordelia"? Great shawl name for a gorgeous shawl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! It makes me so happy to have the approval of other Anne fans :) Anne has long been a favorite of mine, my mother and I read the first book together before I could even pronounce all of the words.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful pattern! How about something Tolkein inspired? (Thinking of your Ravelry avatar)

    ReplyDelete